Orthopaedic Surgery for pets
James Grierson our Head of Orthopaedic Surgery leads the team along with Rob Quinn and Andy Phillips.
The team are specialist led with many of the clinicians certified by the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons and the European Board of Veterinary Specialisation as Specialists in Small Animal Surgery. We are one of the few private referral centres in the UK approved to run an ECVS surgical training programme (or residency). Our residents are the equivalent of registrars in a human hospital, and they always work under the supervision of one of the Specialists.
We are committed to providing pets with the very best surgical care.
We are happy to see all orthopaedic referrals, from the routine to the complex, including:
- Musculoskeletal trauma (fractures/breaks, dislocations)
- Cruciate disease cases (TPLO surgery)
- Total hip replacement (cats and all sizes of dog)
- Total elbow replacement (TATE)
- Elbow medial compartment resurfacing (Arthrex CUE system)
- Kyon PAUL osteotomy for elbow dysplasia
- Arthroscopic ('key hole') investigation of joint disease e.g. elbow dysplasia
- Patellar luxation surgery (dislocating knee cap)
- Staging and management of osteosarcoma and other bone tumours
- Advanced imaging (CT/MRI) of orthopaedic/spinal disease/trauma
- Stem cell treatment of joint disease and other conditions
- Platelet rich plasma (PRP) treatment of joint disease and other conditions
Being a multidisciplinary centre we are particularly well set-up to manage orthopaedic trauma patients, who may have other life-threatening injuries and require the input of our medics/imagers/soft tissue surgeons as well as management of their orthopaedic injury/injuries.
It's important to have a great surgeon but it's equally important to have a great anaesthesia team and ours is led by specialist veterinary anaesthetists. Cutting edge anaesthetic techniques, drugs and equipment are used to make anaesthesia as safe as possible for our patients.
Browse the links below for further information regarding the Orthopaedic Service.
To help budget we offer fixed price fees for TPLO surgeries (for dogs with cruciate ligament ruptures) and for elbow dysplasia scans and surgery. Further details are available in the Cruciate and Elbow Dysplasia sections (links below).