Our Pain Clinic for pets
We have a dedicated Pain Clinic service, run by Matt Gurney as part of our multidisciplinary specialist approach to patients’ wellbeing and quality of life.
The goal of the Pain Clinic is to deliver an individualised and multimodal approach to the management of pain in dogs and cats. A Pain Clinic consultation may be indicated for a wide range of disorders such as:
- Chronic painful conditions such as osteoarthritis, intervertebral disc disease and pancreatitis
- Pain and mobility management in geriatric patients
- Recovery from orthopaedic surgery and/or neurological injury
- Neuropathic, cancer and muscular pain
- Pain of unknown origin
- When conventional pain medications are not sufficient, poorly tolerated or contra-indicated
- When owners need more support or ask “What else can we do?”
The initial consultation will provide an in-depth assessment of the patient’s pain, as well as of the owner’s expectations. This initial assessment will determine the management plan which may include changes to the medications regimen, acupuncture, physiotherapy and environmental and lifestyle changes.